Saturday, December 18, 2010

THE EXORCIST (1973)



Directed By: William Friedkin
Written By: Willaim Peter Blatty; Based on his Novel
Cinematography By: Owen Roizman
Editor: Norman Gay & Evan A. Lottman

Cast: Max Von Sydow, Ellen Burstyn, Linda Blair, Jason Miller, Lee J. Cobb, Kitty Wynn



I think the film has been built up over time too much so that inevitably when I finally saw it, I would be disappointed. There are so many stories and rumors about this film and it’s making. That this film has been made into almost a modern legend. Many people can account abut the first time they saw it and how scary it as for them. It’s Like remembering a part of your very own personal history.

Stanley Kubrick almost directed the film but he wanted to produce it himself and the studio knowing he liked to take his time making films let him pass on it. The film was then supposed to be directed by Mark Rydell (FOR THE BOYS) but the writer of the novel wanted William Friedkin and since he owned the rights the studio went with him and made cinematic history. Gene Hackman and Stacy Keach Were both almost cast as father Karras. It would have been interesting but hard to see anyone else play the role that is how much of a impression the actors make.

It’s a good film but it’s not a film that is a favorite or even a favorite for me of the genre. It is revolutionary in many ways and a definite must see for any true film fan. I was satisfied after seeing it twice. The film sets a chilling mood. The atmosphere of the film jumps from wholesome to terrifying that it is hard to pinpoint the exact moment it happens. The film puts it’s foot down and challenges all other films to a gauntlet. It mixes Human emotion, Spectacular effects and violence with a bit of shock value To make a substantial film that still haunts peoples subconscious.

I don’t Love the film, I will admittedly say I prefer THE OMEN, but I respect the film enough to say it is unforgettable and a well made film. There are so many memorable moments and scenes. There are dazzling set pieces that are both realistic and scary. The film is truly one of a kind. It has a certain magic that none of the sequels ever even comes close to. They never even have the spirit this film has.

Though it is epic in scope it feels small scale in it’s intimacies with characters and situations. As I have said the film is a marvel and not easy to forget. I agree that it is noteworthy and a shining example of it’s genre.

The multi-layered story of a young girl who is possessed by a demon and the two priests who try to get the demon to leave her body without killing her. Each one has there own reason for doing the exorcism and their own personal histories that still haunt them to this day. All of the characters involve din the story has an arc there are no insignificant roles in the film.

I am not in love with the film as much as others do. One of the reasons might be that I heard about the film before I saw it. The hype around it, helped it to gain in my mind over the years a huge reputation. So that once I finally saw it for the first time it was on the big screen when it was re-released. I was 20 years old Still working at a movie theater. So I should have loved it more as I didn’t have to pay for it nor did I have anything invested in it so I should hae had a easier time with the film. I still was left disappointed by the film.

I could see what enticed other viewers and admired the film for what it was but it wasn’t a film that left me in awe like I expected it to but the film is far from a disappointment. I can agree that it is a classic especially considering when it was made and the climate around that time. So the film comes off as advanced.

GRADE: B-

No comments: