Sunday, December 26, 2010

ENTER THE VOID (2010)


Directed By: Gaspar Noe
Written By: Gaspar Noe & Lucile Hadzihalilovic
Cinematography By: Benoit Debie
Editor: Gaspar Noe & Marc Boucrut

Cast: Nathaniel Brown, Paz De La Huerta



This film is a visual marvel that definitely is better served to be seen in theaters. It is good watching it at home but know it would be a immaculate viewing experience on the big screen as your eyes are filled with nothing but the screen and it’s visuals watching this film you feel like you are on drugs or might be better watched while being inebriated not that I am encouraging that.

The film is so luscious it can be played in the background at a party and would still catch the attention of the crowd simply by the visuals. This film is unforgettable. It truly is one of a kind.

This film is a roller coaster ride that I will admit is definitely not for everyone this is a definite NC-17 as no one under that age needs to see this the film is full of nudity and what I believe to definitely be real sex scenes.

This is my first Gaspar Noe film though he is known to be a over the top director Of such films as I STAND ALONE and IRREVERSABLE. Usually satisfied to more or less shock the audience into submission. Which has always kept me away from watching his film. There is some real art here. That inspires me to try to watch his other films. Itruly didn’t expect to like this film as much as I did. He Descibes this film as a psychedelic melodrama which is the closest you’ll get to a explination of the film.

The film is shot mostly in P.O.V as the main character a drug dealer who is very protective of his sister. Get’s high and then tries to make a delivery where he is killed by the police while trying to get rid of the drugs. The rest of the movie follows him as he floats in the afterworld and watches over tokoyo and his sister. From time to time we are privy to flashbacks in his life.

The film makes no apologies as it goes. This is a film that will bow down to no one it seems like it is a film that exists and doesn’t really care about the audience it has a self confidence that goes I know I am a good film and if you don’t like me or understand that is your fault you are too stupid and I am smart. Remember that is the film talking not me.
I like how the film doesn’t hold you hand and leaves you to put together the pieces as the film goes along it sometimes holds back it’s secrets then shows you information that helps you figure things out later on your own.

This is a film that keeps my mind working thinking about it constantly and trying to figure things out. It’s a wild ride. A technical marvel with a vague storyline. It is inventive though. It’s like a modern 2001: A Space Oddessey only with lots of drugs, nudity and sex mixed with trying to find a deeper meaning.

GRADE: A-

No comments: