Thursday, October 12, 2017

TWIN PEAKS, DAVID LYNCH, CREATIVITY and me


(Not a Review) 

With the end of twin peaks upon us. I seemed to realize something, it has loosened up something in me and has been inspiring my writing. Things are coming to the surface more.

Because you need to know the full story filmmakers like Tim Burton and David Lynch, while not necessarily my favorite filmmakers now when I was a kid were. So they will always mean a lot to me.


As I didn't recognize any of the places or things dealt with in any of their movies, but strangely I could identify with them. It was probably the whole outcast thing. They weren't afraid to be different and to expose and express their obsessions and interests no matter what anyone else thought. Hey seemed sad but strangely brought an elegant beauty and joy to the world. I wanted to go to there. Wanted to live in. Those worlds or at least visit. Though David Lynch's was more nightmarish his was quirky and had more consequences.

It made me want to experience strange beauty and made me want to express and be myself my own person not necessarily just like everybody else or be popular. They were made primarily to look at but they always made you think and remember the experience overall

Now while some of my favorite filmmakers are more the Wes Anderson, Billy Wilder, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese. Woody Allen, Francois Truffaut as their films are more personal and have the little sensitive guy as the hero.

What David Lynch, John Waters and Tim Burton have brung can never be replicated and are like the building blocks of my artistic temperance and personality. Their films and work scared me but I found them challenging. Even as there have been Diminishing returns when it comes to Tim Burton there was a time where he did no wrong. It took me a while to see the more challenging John waters films . In other words his early work before HAIRSPRAY, and when it came to David Lynch all i knew was twin peaks. The first film of his is saw out of the ten peaks universe was LOST HIGHWAY in a theater. I had previously seen TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME at age 14 with my mom. So yeah that might have had an influence. His other films except MULLHOLLAND DRIVE I have seen only on DVD. Though I didn't watch WILD AT HEART until my late teens. --They definitely had an influence as in my teen years. I took up acting classes and for these more adult acing classes. I would come up with performance art pieces. Things I would never do again, but I was brave one of them was using Audrey's theme from the twin peaks soundtrack and doing Leonard Cohen poetry to the music.

Other things inspired by them is that in high school. I wore a beret that was easily transformed into a backwards looking kangol on occasion, but then I wore it as the French and Guardian Angels do more to the side. It was very pretentious of me. Though I did get voted class actor even though I was never in any plays and started wearing a long coat or jacket like Kevin Smith. What can I say these were my mentors and to this day I know they are human but seen them as saviors of sort in the religion I follow. Though these were my early influencers. Though Martin Scorsese made me want to make films. His art was one of a kind and that powerful. Woody Allen more the personality, characters and story maybe the intellectualism. --I guess you could say that was my early artist coming out.

The moral of all of this is to say while I have had many influences or people to look up to. They were distinct in showing that your dysfunctions are not dysfunctions at all. They are your individual strengths. as long as you don't let them get in your way and don't hurt anybody. Be proud. We all have them but many try to hide and let them have power over them to be ashamed.

These are stories I used to be ashamed of and while embarrassing I gave them power to feel ashamed. When actually they are stories more of bravery and daring, Just living a life Nothing to be embarrassed about just fun stories to tell. Unfortunately I don’t have a wife, girlfriend or kids to pass them onto to try and teach life lessons or reveal to relate. Don't look like that will ever happen.

So I choose to share it with you, confidantes.

It might also be the endorphins from working out. I get emotional.

Though It's better i tell you as I am reminded of it. Rather then something revealed drunkenly we both won't remember and probably won't be able to put it as poetically. Maybe this is just. A long way to tell you what you already know. 

Not to diminish the other originators of different Prince and David Bowie

Though this show and David Lynch, Made me remember Monica Belucci and wrote an essay about her and her career, but seems to be freeing up or unlocking memories and ideas. For me to formulate and share with little fear.

Not easily defined, always evolving but have an eye on personal vision.

I have a weakness for wonder, beauty, art, style, literature, women, food, wine, stationary, cinema, music and booze. They are what fuel me. Other than you. (one other person out there you know who you are)

It brings me back to my origins. It's just so spectacularly itself and strange

A character upon itself

No comments: