Wednesday, February 26, 2014

ELVIS COSTELLO



When it comes to Elvis Costello. I have a strange history with the man. I have never been a out and out fan, who loves all of his music or any song he touches. I respect him because when he's good he really hits it out of the ballpark. I knew him only as a musician that was mentioned here or there. He seemed to be more of an image I a modern biddy holly though with a weird outrageousness. Like weird al yankovich to a degree at the time. I didn't get him and I didn't try to. Then at the age of 13 I went to tower records in new york to get the radIohead album (tape) ok computer that had just some out. Tower was where I usually went to get all my latest music and magazines at least the ones I considered goof and cool( is it any wonder I ended up working there years later?) I even once saw Green day perform there.

I usually went to the soundtrack section first at the top of the stairs. Which was the third floor and I was kind of weighty. So it was my slow workout even at that age. Keep in mind this was when tapes were still in fashion. Cd's were making their way in bit tapes were still available. (R.I.P. Mini disc though they came much later)

So on my way downstairs from the soundtrack section at the top floor. I decided to stop off at the rock music floor. One floor down probably needing the rest for my legs. (I Mean I never had the shopping as exercise by carrying a hand cart or anything as I never had that much shopping or money to do. That if getting enough product is it's own form of weight lifting) Looking through the recent additions. I came across the Elvis Costello collection, the best of the warner years. What transfixed me was the cover art. A mixture of all of his album covers thin nailed sized. Only with various filters. So just off of that I decided it was time for my introduction to Elvis Costello (always looking to new music and artists to discover, so not only was I not left out, but get a chance to introduce my few friends to them) I tried it out and bought it. I generally put it on when I just needed something to listen to. But listening to it so much the so gs became routine Listening for me.

I got used to the lyrics and melodies and since I used to listen to my Walkman all the time. It soon became a regular rotation in my music. In my backpack I used to carry at least 10 - 15 tapes in my bag. I kid you not. Sort of having a grab bag to surprise myself sometimes with what album will I pull out next. So for many moments that are still memorable. The songs became a sort of soundtrack for.

Over the years I never really bought another full length Elvis Costello album. Except the very best of Elvis Costello album. That only had half of the songs for the Warner brothers.

His music has always haunted me, been there somewhere for occassion, mood and monument

Then there were the collaborations with Burt Bacharach. Which lead to the film Grace of my heart's soundtrack than a full album of original songs together. Which eventually lead to Elvis in Austin Powers 2. Singing the Burt Bacharach/Dionne Warwick classic. I'll never fall in love again. Which didn't bring out it's more romantic qualities, bit emphasized the lyrics more of a quasi-romantic ditty that was bouncy yet funny. A cynical truthful love song. If anything else. I really haven't listened to or bought any other Elvis Costello album or singles since the. I have seen him once on a plane. Back from California after not winning on the TV game show Ultimate film fanatic after the plane landed back In New York. I went to the bathroom and who else was there in the next stall but Mr. Costello. Now I am not the type to disturb a celebrity in the bathroom. Plus that's weird and unhygienic. So that was my brush with him in his required uniform of glasses and pork pie hat.

Now usually each if his songs I became obsessed with a different song . That meant so much songs like SHE which was used perfectly in the film NOTTING HILL's opening credits and I want you which was the title of a rare Michael Winterbottom film that I have had mental pictures of the song in my mind, my own music video that always is being rewrites and re-filmed, but can also be used as themes for me in my mind VERONICA, ALISON, I WANT TO VANISH. Take space in my mind and send me dreaming and thinking of times in my life. Like I said his music has now made it into the soundtrack of my life through tapes to cd's to digital music.

His music always seems to be the soundtrack of heartbreak and/or love and devotion from afar of someone you have lost or can never have. He vocals sound full of emotion and pained that slowly find heir rhythm and own melodies. While mired in despair.

I remember how each song has filled out my life, at least moments of them.

My introductions to them are memorable I want you I first heard in a trailer for a film with the same name that loves up to the title and seeing it's use in full in the movie only deepens the meaning of it for me as now I had a visual association. The song AlLISON that fit a lonely night droning in a pool hall and watching couples all around you. SHE fills you as a tribute to the beauty and little moments that might define that relationship, So much so it was used in the opening credits of the film NOTTING HILL. I WANT TO VANISH is like a non violent suicide note, that is beautiful in it's despair for that felling when you want to be isolated and cant say exactly why, but want everyone to know to avoid you for the time being. and so on.

Which is why for a certain time the better mixtapes, Compilations and hip modern soundtracks at the time. had at least one track by him. He is the threat of a singer songwriter. So instead of having just a shotgun. He is a double barrelled one that has twice the power and impact.

For that i will always be faithful. As it gave me a deeper understanding of the world around me and enriched it with a worthy soundtrack, that made me feel and become awake to it.

No comments: