Sunday, December 1, 2013

DAVID CRONENBERG: THERE IS ALWAYS A VICTIM



What I admire about David Cronenberg is that he started out as a genre filmmaker and elevated himself to not only a master of the genre, but including artistic touches that made his films special and not looked down as much as similar themed movies, but his were more looked at as actual pieces of art. His films seem more driven by passion, imagination and biology. Not only do they have a point but they can be seen as analogies.

He stays true to his homeland of Canada. He is in fact one of the most noted Canadian director. He also supports and gets audiences to notice the Canadian film scene. So he has a national pride.

He is a filmmaker never for hire. not afraid to venture out of his comfort zone if a story speaks to him. He make it. Like It will haunt him if he doesn't and must put his full imagination and backbone into it.

He tends to expose the horrors in the mundane and seemingly normal.

He doesn't make his horrific films seem like distant fantasies. He shows how they could fit into the everyday and no one ever know it. Shows the horror of everyday horrors and violence. Not always of course though his noteworthy work usually does.

He doesn't make horror film to scare or frighten it seems he wants you to have an experience you won't forget. make you uncomfortable so that you can't. He will show you something you have never seen before. Not some petty scare tactic that you laugh about later.

His quiet films are more cerebral and/or emotionally violent. His films Can stand side by side and feel like they belong next to one another a quality of some sort that they all share

He is a director who's films intimidate me. You Never know what you are going to get, but most likely it will be uncomfortable...

Can't say I go out of my way to see his films in theaters, but I know If I miss them I will eventually watch them. For instance I read the graphic novel of A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE before I saw the film. While sitting there as the film began I realized who directed the film and broke out into a lite sweat as I had never seen one of his films On the big screen and knowing the story I knew this film could not be or the squeamish. While the film went differently then the graphic novel. Watching it and sort of knowing what to expect. I still watched it cringing as throughout I felt a tenseness that wasn't relieved until the film was over. Many try, but I liked the way it made me feel somewhat it's a rare feeling that very few films can achieve with me 13 TZAMETI, ROSEMARY'S BABY, BLACK SWAN, intend to feel the same way watching all of his films even at home.

Only director of note for me so far seen do an about face to show beauty of human emotional release is David lynch.

Can't say he is one of my favorite directors, but each new project he is involved in, I am interested in.

He's like that tough teacher you hate or dislike, but when you look back on him you admire him, as e was tough, but fair and you remember everything he intended for you to learn as he challenged you and made you rise to your best without you even truly realizing it at the time. As you watch you are pulled in and can't look away no matter how shocking or violent it becomes. He has made a wide range of films. Though it is easy to admit to say I've never seen anything like that before. Even when he is mundane. You think there is going to be something rough to make you cover your eyes. Not all of his films are great or even good, but even his mole failures are noteworthy, worth watching just to witness his ideas and see what at least attracted him to the project. They are also always well filmed with inspired cinematography (CRASH, EXISTENZ, COSMOPOLIS) He is easy to write off as a horror director, but always surprising in his hooves of material. As lately she chooses to take on more avant-garde projects. He is unpredictable and can go from the grotesque with THE FLY. To a solid drama with hardly any violence A DANGEROUS METHOD or even a PG rated film M. BUTTERFLY

He isn't a masochist Director who believes in showing violence as it happens to fetishize it or as some cheap thrill. He is showing it's ugliness just as he shows other aspects of life.

A genre filmmaker with an artistic hardcore edge.

It took me years to watch THE FLY fully as each time I attempted to he managed to put my greatest fears visualized. Most films it's never as bad as you think, heard or imagine. More implied or cut away. Sometimes even just suggested. So the filmmaker leaves it up to your imagination. Cronenberg shows those moments as an extension of his imagination thy he wants you to witness and experience. He is why at a young age I was not only afraid of horror but quit watching it really until I turned 12. I was a horror late bloomer. It took me years to get into it and catch up, through lightly televised version of horror films.

I have made my peace, but I must say THE FLY traumatized me and surprisingly, I appreciate it as once I was older and finally watched it from beginning to end. I felt like I accomplished something, overcoming a feat and feeling like I matured because of it. Still barely keeping my food intact.

No one even tries I duplicate him or his style as it is near impossible. You Can match him in theme an try to match the visuals, the imitators just don't have the same eye and convictions as him.

He is a filmmaker whose films my nightmares are built from. Not inspired they actually look like some of his films. He is not comfortable, With a label.

Not only all of this bit he also appears in other directors films TO DIE FOR(playing a hitman) NIGHTBREED (playing a serial killer), BARNEY'S VERSION (playing a Director) JASON X (playing a film professor)

A regular jack of all trades

No comments: