Monday, June 3, 2013

JEFF OF THE CINEFILES: HALL OF FAME: FILE #24: TRAIN MAN (2005)



Directed By: Shosuke Murakami
Written By: Arisa Kaneko
Based On The Novel By: Hitori Nakano
Cinematography By: Shigeki Murano
Editor: Junosoke Hogaki

Cast: Takayuki Yamada, Miki Nakatani, Ryoko Kuninaka, Kuranosuke Sasaki, Tae Kimura, Yoshinori Okada

The supposedly true story of a 23-year-old otaku (Japanese geek) who intervenes when a drunk man is harassing several women on a train. The otaku ultimately begins dating one of the women, and posts on a website asking for advice every step of the way

I love this film probably because I can easily identify with the main character a lot, but also the way the story and film unfold is both realistic and a romantic fantasy. It’s not Hollywood ridiculous fantasy though like when the character gets a makeover. No music montage, No flamboyant stylist or female best friend who has a crush on him. It happens gradually as he slowly starts to change his clothes and hair. Not shocking and all at once.

The film was shot in 25 days, then released into cinemas only 35 days later.

Like I said before this is a romantic drama (But not a torturous one like some so called chick flicks) About a young man who is shy a computer and anime nerd he uncharacteristically saves a group of women from a drunk passenger. One of the women insists on giving him a present taking him to dinner. They both feel a connection, but he doesn’t really know how to court her and follow up he doesn’t really have any friends he can turn to so he turns to his chat room friends who all discuss and help him through this romance with various stages of advice. Men and women from all different walks of life. Who are just like him in their day to day life, but live vicariously through him and his experiences soon his relationship becomes their obsession like they are Players in a videogame and he is the video game character they have to get through all the obstacles together as a collaboration as he is almost an avatar for all of them. The characters who advise him never truly meet face to face but somewhat form a family to help this person. None of them know themselves and care about him. --I really admire that part of the story. I also loved the actual romance. She is shy herself not as much as he is though. She is more in the social world, but lonely and to see these characters connect, disconnect, short out then connect is truly a beautiful thing. It affected me in a way that so many romance movies don’t I felt all the emotions and situations the tension the dates brung, the nervousness and anxiety that each new situation brought.

This is also based on a True Story.

It’s a story that can be universal. It’s a story of first love or true love, Only happening later than usual in life.

It’s a movie so precious and delicate. I don’t want to give too much away as the fun is in the immersion and discovery. The film walks a fine line that never falls into overly sweet.

It’s the spirit of lonely collaboration. All those awkward characters coming together for a common good. Almost like the ending of HACKERS only here actually useful.

I will always hold this film special in my heart. I guess I can really identify with the character and situations. I even read the book it is based on immediately afterwards. The film feels personal while entertaining. It takes you on an emotional journey, but once it is over leaves you fulfilled and floating on air.

I discovered this film on a whim on Netflix. I never heard of it I just thought the poster looked interesting read the plot synopsis that at first made it sound like a wacky romantic comedy. That would normally star Rob Schneider. When I finally watched it, I was shocked by what I got and how much it resonated with me, I was expecting a hamburger and got a steak. Right after watching it I immediately added it to my home library. Which for me is rare after just watching a film.(I usually wait for the price to go down) Now this is one of my favorite films. Truly a hidden Gem.

I will admit that this movie impressed me more with it’s sentiment then it’s style. Sometimes that is all that it takes to tell a really good story. As long as it’s represented well on screen. So while visually, The film isn’t that original or cutting edge. It hooks you with it’s story, characters and situations.

It’s one of the films on my exclusive list that i can look past the moviemaking and admire the film for it’s emotional content. It is a film that more gets me through it’s heart and overcomes my critical eye.

Add to the home library

GRADE: A+

No comments: