Tuesday, October 16, 2012

FAT KID RULES THE WORLD (2012)

Directed By: Matthew Lillard Written By: Michael M.B. Galvin & Peter Speakman Based On The Novel by: K.L. Going Cinematography By: Noah Rosenthal Editor: Michelle Witten Cast: Jacob Wysocki, Billy Campbell, Matt O'Leary, Lili Simmons, Dylan Arnold A dropout comes to the aid of a chubby and suicidal high-school kid by recruiting him as the drummer for his upstart punk-rock band. The film fills you with a certain inspiration or at least it definitely did for me. Its energy and messages of self discovery. Reminds me of the cult film its director starred in SLC PUNK! A movie that I am a big fan of, while that movie was a bit more extreme. This film has the unifying theme of punk that same youthful energy and involves the possibilities of youth and the strength of friendship. This film is easily another favorite of the films I have seen this year. I don't know this year has come out with some truly noteworthy coming of age films. This film and THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER while different tackling the same material each makes their own mark and don't step on each other’s toes, but actually complement one another. Though the title character is fat and it plays into the title. His weight isn't played for laughs and most of the time it isn't what defines him or holds him back. The film has a certain rawness that makes it feel a little more real and closer to reality then most. Sure it touches on some subjects that are par for the course but it also shines a light on some that are glossed over or never talked about involving characters that are usually trapped being one dimensional supporting character, whose looks define their entire identity in films. So seeing these characters are the main stars of this film. It’s a breath of fresh air. I applaud the film and the filmmakers as this film is special. It is rolling out slowly and you have to look to find it, but it is worth it a hidden gem. The cast is really touching and good they make you feel like they are the characters I am a sucker for coming of age films. I like that this film was rough around the edges but still had a message and showed its story that you can't help but feel something. Sometimes you need a battery charger. This is that film. It shows the classic themes of youth with finally discovering something all your own. That helps you to define yourself and find happiness and puts you on your path in the world. Especially finding support in a community. I like that the film showed the family dynamics and that as hard edged as his father is how much he loves his kids. Though he can never verbalize it. This film is a labor of love for the director. Matthew Lillard (Who has acted in many films as both star and supporting role. Films such as SCREAM, HACKERS, SCOOBY DOO, THE DESCENEDENTS, THE CURVE, SPOONER, WITHOUT A PADDLE) Who tried for 10 years to get the film made after doing the audio-book for it. For an actor turned director, he has a firm grasp on the material and a steady hand behind the camera. It's a film I admire as it is a positive film that needs to be seen as it encourages people, Kids in particular to try to achieve their dreams. Don't be afraid. Realize who you are, and the talents you have to offer. These days I admire the bravery of young people to try out their interests. As there is more opportunity to either master it or try, Fail and move on. When I was young I discovered what I wanted to do in my life and always held thought, a purpose as for which to strive. Over the years though I took baby steps moving forward very slowly achieving the skills and education to actually move forward and do it. I believe I fell in love with the fantasy and the struggle more than anything else. I lost sight. Only more recently have I found the passion and inspiration to move forward and follow my dreams. I know it sounds like I am rating this movie more by how I feel about it or how it made me feel, But it is a good film and technically it is a good film. Though his role is a bit similar to the previous film he starred in TERRI, Jacob Wysocki. At least in this film. He is not only more proactive, but more physical and allowed to express his feelings, particularly anger. The cast are all great and give standout performances GRADE: A-

No comments: