Wednesday, September 26, 2012

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER (2012)

Written & Directed By: Stephen Chbosky Based on the Novel By: Stephen Chbosky Cinematography By: Andrew Dunn Editor: Mary Jo Markey Cast: Emma Watson, Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, Mae Whitman, Johnny Simmons, Nina Dobrev, Paul Rudd, Tom Savini, Dylan McDermott, KAte Walsh, Melanie Lynskey, Nicholas Braun, Joan Cusack, Reece Thompson, Landon Pigg Based on the novel written by Stephen Chbosky, this is about 15-year-old Charlie (Logan Lerman), an endearing and naive outsider, coping with first love (Emma Watson), the suicide of his best friend, and his own mental illness while struggling to find a group of people with whom he belongs. The introvert freshman is taken under the wings of two seniors, Sam and Patrick, who welcome him to the real world. About 10 years ago, which i believe qulifies for a decade. I wondered around the Virgin Megastore looking for a book to read. When i came across a book with a simple green cover. It was titled THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER I loved the title, the story and the way it was written from just reading a few pages. The thing that put me off was that it wasput out by MTV books thinking that this book would be nothing more then some Teen fiction book that was superficial and not in any way deep. So i Passed on it for the book PERFUME. A few years later while working incidently at this megastore that i frequented i ran across the book again (This wasn't the first time as i saw it many times at Barnes & Nobles and was always about to buy it when another book would catch my eye at the last minute.) As now i got a discount and needed something to keep me entertained on the train ride home. Once i started reading it i couldn't put it down. I devoured it and had to stop many times as not only could i identify with the character, but also some of the feelings and situations got too much for me. IT showed good writing and as with all good books you never want it to end so you can not only savour it but let the feelings flow. then before you know it you're done and have to leave these characters and worlds. Once it was over it remained with me and on my mind over the years. I even wanted to try to write an adaptation to a feature film version of it, but backed away from that idea as i felt i wasn't ready to do full justice to the book, Story and characters. Whenever i saw someone read it i was jealous as thye were discovering and entering that world. i was also happy that people would read and suggest it to others. Keeping it alive somewhat. Then i heard the book was being made into a film at first i was grief stricken worried they were going to hollywood it up and make it horrible. I was eased into the idea once i learned that the writer of the book would be writing the screenplay and directing it. I felt it was in good hands as he would be the obvious person to know the material backwards and forwards. Yet as it got closer for the film to come out i started to get worried as to howgood the qulity of the film would be. I mean Stephen Chbosky was a writer and show runner of the television show JERICHO. Other then that i didn't know of any other credits. Today it seemed like fate was leading me to this film. As i didn't plan on seeing it on opening day, but meetings and appointments kept changing and moving leaving me plenty of free time. Since it was playing at only one theatre that was near me and with time to spare i decided to watch the film. Let me tell you i am blessed that i did. I don't think i could have watched it and been affected with someone else in attendance watching it with me, Because all the feelings and the way the book made me feel, all came rushing back as well as memories of my own teen years and experiences. i was flooded by emotions. I would even go as so far as to say that if you watch this film. It is almost like watching myself only with not as much a happy ending yet. I didn't find that group of freinds until much later in life. I always swear to myself that if i ever saw someone in the same position as i was. I want to help the out. Watching this film will help anyone who doesn't understand me a little or where i come from. Going to make a statement. As it caught me off guard. It might not be the best film of the year, but it is so damn good. THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER is my favorite film of the year. Made by someone I don't know personally. It's a tearjerker, but it does it by being honest. Not trying to make you cry just for the sake or to get an emotional connection to the film as it has nothing really else going for it. It is there but apart of the natural story. Not all are smooth and unemotional. This one bathes in emotions of the everyday. it has an identity and soul. That leaves you wanting to know and hug all the characters never leave them and know what they are up to check on them. You can't you can revisit them but it will be the same old tales and story you know. That isn't bd it keeps them in that innocence that you can revisit and be reminded of. IT deals with raw emotions, heartfelt nostalgia. Connections that are made and stay with you. Freindships that are gentle but end up ebing the ones that help define every person in them. The beauty of mixtapes. Conncections made before technology gave us more opportunites and infromation, but has seemed to delude us and seperate us from hving to deal with the everyday and others. As we see to spend more time on and with out gadgets entertaining ourselves rather then making face to face conncetions with one another. It had me emotional the whole running time and still is affecting me afterwards. Not a false note and just reminds me of my youth. It do affected me personally while I recommend it with all my heart. I don't know if Ivan ever watch it again or at least not too man times. It affects me that much. The audience didn't have a dry we by the middle or end also It's not visionary, It's simple that's what makes it relateable and special.It doesn't have the gloss and snarkiness that most teen, coming of age films has. It's more emotional. While it doesn't have enough specifity to be a cinematic classic. Anyone who runs across this film will have something to relate to. I realize this isn't too much of a review. Emma Watson is a dream come true as sam. She is the manic pixie dream girl, but not entirely selfless and has a reality to deal with as well as dealing with her own issues. Logan Lerman who has never had a chance to show much range before. Comes off as stiff at first, but finds his groove and hits all the right notes as he goes along. The film deosn't feel watered down. Each scene rings truth from an emotional center. Though some are painful they ring honest. The film feels personal like the rare ones you see being released. It is easy to write this film off. Based on the marketing, but it's not that the marketing is used to get others who would normally not go see it. To see it. The film has it's values. It wears it's heart on it's sleeve, but always makes you smile. It's funny and is actually a diamond in the rough. Yes you've probably seen this story, So many times , Yes you have but not this detailed and with a specific identity that is defined. Not just part of a generality. This is a film i want to watch continously, But is so special, Precious and fragile. I want each time i watch it to be special and if i watch it too much. I willget used to it. I never want to get used to this film. Like a beautiful girl filled with just as many joys, Surprises and wonder. You enjoy the time spent together and never forgetit. Even if it never changes it might feel different. The last act is full of surprises some you could see coming. Others shocking always keeps a healthy sense of humor while dealing with it's subjects. The film surpassed any expectations I had. It is one of a kind. Ezra miller is amazing as Patrick. The film does something that is rate it makes the filmmaking lookup simple and like there is no effort put in. Then makes the material so moving. It's like a sweet cocktail where it tastes so sweet. You just guzzle it like a regular soft drink. Then all of a sudden the alcohol hits you and affects you it messes you up this is how the film is. Going to make a statement. As it caught me off guard. It might not be the best film of the year, but it is so damn good. THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER is my favorite film of the year. Made by someone I don't know personally. It had me emotional the whole running time and still is affecting me afterwards. Not a false note and just reminds me of my youth. It did affect me personally while I recommend it with all my heart. I don't know if I Can ever watch it again or at least not too man times. It affects me that much. The audience didn't have a dry we by the middle or end also The film surpassed any expectations I had. It is one of a kind. Ezra miller is amazing as Patrick. The film does something that is rate it makes the filmmaking lookup simple and like there is no effort put in. Then makes the material so moving. It's like a sweet cocktail where it tastes so sweet. You just guzzle it like a regular soft drink. Then all of a sudden the alcohol hits you and affects you it messes you up this is how the film is.Though i have in no way shape or form had anything to do with the making of the film or the writing. This film felt like my heart and my soul and i'm sure for many who sanee it it will feel the same amd affect whoever watches it. I don't know how Stephen Chbosky came up with something so precious and raw, but i give him the utmost respect and admiration. He, This film and book are definately a strong inspiration. I can never probaly do this film any justice, by my words all i cn do it pass it on to others to watch and hope you all enjoy it and recognize it. I hope you like it. Seek it out. GRADE: A

No comments: