Saturday, May 1, 2010

YOUNG @ HEART (2007)


Directed By: Stephen Walker; Music Videos By: Sally George
Cinematography By: Ed Marritz
Editor: Chris King



This documentary about senior citizens who sing in a chorus that pick unconventional rock songs to sing like, Sonic Youth’s “Schizophrenia” and “Fix You” by coldplay is heartwarming and reminds you of the strength of the human spirit sure they aren’t as fast as they used to be but the seniors are still wily and give a certain poignancy to the songs.

We get to meet the various members of the chorus we spend more time with some then others and grow attached to them as the story goes on and there emotional roads.

The documentary chronicles all of this with a whimsical spirit showing that you are never too old or tired to do something you enjoy and makes you happy. A nice thing to do and treat people to at the end of your life and a lot better then sitting around waiting for something to happen.

I can’t really rate this on filmmaking technique or how much I learned, like the title I have to go with my heart and emotions. I went with the highs and lows. It still left me with a smile on my face.

GRADE: B+

No comments: